Tessa Balach, M.D.
Dr. Balach is an assistant professor in the Department of
Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Connecticut. She
specializes in the management of patients with musculoskeletal
tumors along with patients who have hip and knee arthritis. Dr. Balach received her medical degree from New York
Medical College. She completed her orthopaedic surgery residency
and a fellowship in musculoskeletal oncology at the University
Dr. Balach’s clinical practice focuses on the treatment of
benign and malignant tumors of the bone and soft tissues, in
addition to metastatic disease. Dr. Balach specializes in the
surgical care of pelvic, upper, and lower extremity tumors using
limb-salvage techniques. She has a special interest in
computer-assisted navigation for the resection of pelvic tumors.
Dr. Balach works with an integrated team of specialists that
include adult and pediatric oncologists, radiologists, radiation
oncologists, plastic surgeons and pathologists to ensure her
patients receive comprehensive care. Dr. Balach’s goal is to
provide compassionate, individualized care for patients with
In addition, Dr. Balach’s clinical practice includes the
treatment of hip and knee arthritis with joint replacement
- Assistant Professor, Orthopaedic Surgery, UConn Health Center
- Chair Residency Selection Committee
England Musculoskeletal Institute
Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
B.A., University of Chicago
M.D., New York Medical College
General Surgery, University of Chicago Medical Center
Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Chicago Medical Center
Orthopaedic Oncology, University of Chicago Medical Center
- OMeGA Medical Grants Core Competency Innovation Grant, 2010,
- Current Concepts in Joint Replacement Foundation Scholarship, 2009
- Mid-America Orthopaedic Association Multipurpose Resident Grant, 2008
- Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation (OREF) Education Award, 2008
- Cor et Manus Service Citation from New York Medical College, 2005
- Medical Society of the State of New York Community Service Award, 2005
Balach T., Stacy G.S., Peabody T. The Clinical Evaluation
of Bone Tumors. In: Stacy GS, ed. Radiologic Clinics
of North America. In press.
Balach T., Stacy G.S., Haydon R.C. The Clinical Evaluation
of Soft Tissue Tumors. In: Stacy GS, ed. Radiologic
Clinics of North America. In press.
Hussain W., Balach T., Leland J.M. Vascular injury
involving proximal medial-to-lateral oblique locking screw
insertion in tibial intramedullary nailing: a case report
and literature review. Acta Orthop Belg. 2011
Balach T., Peabody T. Management of Skeletal Metastases.
In: Stadler WM, ed. Renal Cancer: Demos Medical; 2011.
Balach T., Roach P.B., Selkov E., Jr., Silverstein J.C., Peabody T.
Orthopaedic Trainee Procedural Competency Assessment with the
Surgical Training and Assessment Tool. Paper presented at
the American Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting.
Bonita Springs, FL. June 13, 2009.
View more publications, see
- Outcomes of upper extremity sarcoma reconstructions.
- Wound healing in patients with soft tissue sarcomas.
- Outcomes after joint replacement surgery.
New England Musculoskeletal Institute
UConn Health Center
263 Farmington Avenue
Farmington, CT 06030